Born to be Back for Good ( The Untold Story )

A record that were never answered, I tell you what it is without being on the decrease and in exaggerating, because I do not have a camera or cell phone camera so I have no hard evidence, which proves just the photos and email from a family of children Van Motman. Recommendation only after reading this article also read the book by this title coherent  Hella S. Hasse / Heren Van de Thee.

Mail from his son


My name is Marcel van Motman. I’am the son of Joyce (Fridoline) van Motman-Gagliardi en Cornelis Frederik Johan van Motman who travelled at Java in august-september 2005. It is correct that my father died at september 24th 2005 at Mt. Bromo and that my mother stayed in Surabaya. Is it correct that you were their driver at that time and did you call my parents “Opa” and “Oma”? My mother only remembers the name of “Agung” or is that another person? Anyway my mother and I live in Leiden nearby The Hague. I sent you also a picture of my father and mother to see if they are the persons you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Marcel van Motman




August 2005, During the day at Jakarta international airport, the day I picked up Van Motman and his wife, 


"Before I die, I want to see my birthplace, where I played as a child, the house where I was raised, where I play pool and my big family cemetery in the area following bogor jasinga remaining assets of the family until today.


That word's first words to me motman van when I first meet him in Jakarta international airport. A little shudder to hear it but the challenge for me to run the mission. Actually this job order list of major travel cancun "Jackal Holidays", the official report lists job is to bring Van Motman java bali tour for 28 days, the list order free program for Van Motman want to find all he had experienced in Java, especially Bogor and London where he was born.
In starting from Jakarta, I show the way as usual tourist places in Jakarta and the history of the beginnings of the Dutch came to Indonesia, Van Motman really appreciate the Indonesian people because a lot of memories that he experienced in Bogor and Bandung, especially as he was born in Bandung before World War second. Entering the city of Bogor our stay at Hotel Happy Valley gadog Bogor Puncak road, a beautiful small hotel, cool air near fast-flowing river, the sight of green fields that make Van Motman try to recall what was in the nature of Java. I try to help to restore memory by showing Van Motman food west Javanese traditional food, ranging from Awug, banana, durian fruit Sate Goat up. It turned out that way can restore a little memory of Van Motman. At that time he was almost 80 years while his wife about 75 years old, still healthy and strong enough for people their age.

"Agung .., I came to Indonesia as a child not in school or equate such other tourists, so do not show where the sights here, even though it's job as a tour guide is also a driver, I understand, and understand, but please help me find my family address in Bogor and the man who once saved my family from attack Japanese troops at the time, so the task you are looking for, find and prove that the address is still there, especially if I could meet my grandfather, the man who once saved me and my family ".

We Bogor timetable on time for 3 days hotel stay in Happy Valley, so during that time I should be able to carry out the mission given to me Van Motman. Fortunate workers in the Hotel Happy Valley very well and appreciate the desire Motman Van, Van Motman first clue is just an old photos with a picture of my grandfather's grandfather and a little boy aged about 12 years, and also a book on Old Tombs in Bogor jasinga. Find it impossible Van Motman family assets remaining, only armed with a photograph and address book with no certainty.
I kept thinking "how do I find all of it". The second day in Bogor began the search process by looking for objective to "Jasinga". First thing I look for is the person in the photograph, here and there Tanya finally there are some 65 year old grandfather to tell if the man in the photo is the "Tomb Guard Netherlands", his home around the "Tomb Chain" and writes that the book is a dozen universities in the area of agriculture bogor Darmaga. My search first author's address, his home in the back of the agricultural university bogor, we finally met and talked at length about the book, which turns the contents of a book on the family as Squire Van Motman Rubber plantation in Bogor Jasinga. And it turns out this is Van Motman last descendant of Van Motman breed itself, the teacher tells a lot about the activities of the Van motman Jasinga while still in Bogor, and he also tells about the grandfather who is in the photo and the little boy in the picture yan . He was told that Van Motman not be able to meet again with the old man in the photograph, because it had died a few years after Indonesia's independence, but the little boy in the photo can still be found.
The third day I go again on bogor mission "Finding Time and the remnants of the family tomb Van Motman family". Nearly two hours searching the cemetery and a small child in the photo, I finally found the little boy who is now a grandfather's grandfather, and then continue the work of his great-grandfather to keep the family cemetery and 39 graves Van motman of the Van Motman all found in the Bogor Jasinga , that's not all thanks to the help of the little boy who now turned into a grandfather, we can find also the office building remains of the rubber plantations in the Dutch colonial period. At that time Van motman and his wife could do was cry and tell me if the first time Japanese colonial period in Indonesia makes him and his family continue to run in the chase as a criminal fugitive, and finally rescued by an old man in the hide at home and their families until the situation improves. Not only that I found successful, the three of us continue to look for the rest of the remnants of a large family of Van Motman formerly a rubber plantation owners throughout the region west of Java., I kept heading west toward the mountains are mist, into the forests and villages to use APV car, we finally found a gold mine that has not been in use and on mine it said "Van Motman", I can only keep silent and stared at the gold mine, because it was never seen in life, can only last Van Motman cry to see the rest of the remnants of his family, continue the journey continues on until finally we found a bridge that is just enough for a car wheel, even if I say very risky for the bridge even though only a few feet away, because under the bridge there is a sufficient gap in. Want to go back towards the same is not possible, go on to take the risk of passing the bridge.!!, Risk finally taken, van motman helped me see the wheels of the car when passing the bridge, and finally we were able to pass the bridge, continue on the journey continue heading south through the township mist continued heading south toward the port of the queen and returned to the happy valley hotel in Bogor.
In the morning we prepared to continue the journey toward the "center", before Van Motman tell me if the mission in Bogor complete 100%, he was happy to find all what he wants. Arriving at the "center" in the afternoon, they immediately break at the hotel "Savoy Homann" hotel made ​​in 1920 by German architects in the Dutch colonial period. Before leaving the hotel van motman said to me


"Agung.., tomorrow I want to see the hospital where I was born, it would be more pleased if the ward where I was born is still there, and do not forget I want to see my house that is on the road "Lembang Weg" which numbered 186 and 96, also a swimming pool right behind my house first, do not you think your job as a tour guide to show where the tourist attractions in London, I already know all ".


I said ok tomorrow we find all what you need.
In the morning around 10, continue traveling, I used to like in Bogor, I remember there was an old coffee factory in the way of ABC bandung, smell the coffee plant, the plant was built during the colonial era and is still active today, the smell of coffee plant is a family company for generations, and still continue the child in laki2 of the family, the owner of the coffee plant was from the Chinese, people are friendly and always welcomes a visit if in there to smell the coffee plant, equipment in use in the aroma of coffee plants the old equipment from the colonial period, and still in use well into the present, even the coffee making process is still using the ancient techniques once, using wood, wood in the wood of rubber trees as well use it, that's why I deliberately took the van to the factory motman this, so that he can recall his childhood when he was in Bandung. There is no goal I seek to profit from a visit to the aroma of coffee plants, my goal was just trying to restore memory motman van, because I honestly do not know the address in the search for him, so I tried to hook his memory is not difficult to find an address he wanted, the reason during the colonial roads in bandung bandung very different from today, let alone the address he gave to me was "Lembang Weg" and "Ranca Badak Hospitals".


I was born, grew up in Jakarta, it is only natural that I do not know the road roads in bandung, especially that in the search during the colonial bandung address.!! After seeing the aroma of coffee factory in Bandung ABC street, continue on the journey toward the north Bandung passes, roads cipaganti, here van motman memory began to return, armed with a little experience and knowledge I try to steer the car to the north towards the mountains Tangkuban boat, because there Dutch building and the first hotel in Bandung that is made by the Dutch. Arriving at the villa which is now the UPN isola, memories van motman too well back, I took an old map of the 1950 Bandung from parents help their friends and ultimately very helpful at all, van motman first villa isola remember once used as a place beristarahat bandung billionaires such as host Boscha valley's first telescope maker. The journey continues on the move back toward the road passes Cihampelas bandung, this is where the van motman Naah asked me to stop, he said, "This is Lembang Weg", drive slowly slowly great or we just stop and walk, eventually found no 186 in the current changing a food store "Cihampelas 186 karya umbi", he cried and took pictures in front of the street Cihampelas, almost everyone saw van motman cry in front of the "Karya Umbi", I just can not say anything, I let him cry until satisfied his heart, having satisfied cried the journey still continues to go looking for a swimming pool in first place where he used to swim and play with his friends, even this pool is still there and still used by local people to swim, just paint the walls have changed, others remain the same as the colonial period, here he continued to talk about his childhood in bandung. There are still two more uncompleted mission, searching for "Lembang Weg 96" and "Ranca Badak Hospital".


Fly over Pasopati be a witness if Lembang weg 96 is not there, here's where motman van in the street yelling 


"My house is gone"


he too asked me, 


"where Lembang weg 96 grand .. and I said the government had got evicted because the building Pasopati to fly over the entrance to the toll Cipularang Bandung Jakarta"


and then he said again


"I still have a copy of the letter that house, why at first evicted without notice.?? And I said, after the revolution, all the assets taken by the Dutch in the Indonesian government, Indonesian government has the right to be full of what was on the Indonesian homeland, and eventually stopped the van motman realized that she no longer had a home in the hollow weg 96"


then he says again to me,. 


"Agung..I was born in Bandung, my Parents Although the Dutch, a nation that never colonized you, will, but I am half blood Indonesia, so I have one foot in Indonesia and 1 foot longer exists in the Netherlands",


Dutch and Indonesian language he say that. I just keep quiet, the heart can only be thought, what if it happened to me.??, after telling the journey continues in many hospitals continue to look for Rhino Ranch, on the way van motman said 


"before I die, I want to see a hospital ward where I was born ",


 I said okay I will try to find, I finally get the address of the hospital Ranca Badak which now turned into a hospital hasan Sadikin bandung, bandung Pasteur is located in the street, looking ahead this hospital is a stylish Art Deco europe are well preserved, although there are lots of renovation here, but the front face of the original hospital is still made ​​in the colonial period, without hesitation I went looking for ward to the intent motman van, with the help of senior nurses, ward that the intent was still there until now only change function alone. Coming home from the hospital Ranca Badak, van motman faces look happy, she says thank you a lot of great, too well you complete the mission 100%. I said I was only my duty as a guide and driver, do not worry about it. One thing I feared van motman have said the same thing two times, as a sign to me that his request should be on the run as much as possible. Have passed unnoticed 7 day trip with the family Van Motman, continue on the journey continue to Pangandaran, entered the van motman Pangandaran's wife complained of pain, they live in a "sunrise hotel" located on the east coast of Pangandaran, the same day I went straight to the doctor for Mevrouw motman van, eventually with the help of "Mang AEP" my friend in Pangandaran we get the doctor, "Mang AEP" have "Guest House" to the guides and drivers, not expensive nor cheap, but enough to help me as a driver and a guide who takes temporary shelter. In Pangandaran motman van and his wife just rest, because Mevrouw van motman ill while still a long way to "Candi Dasa Bali", 3 days in Pangandaran rest, the journey continues to proceed to the stone raden, Dieng Wonosobo, Jogjakarta, solo, and Malang bromoArrive at Bromo on the twentieth day, according to the schedule list of travel agent jobs, in the afternoon about 5 o'clock pm arrived at the hotel "Grand Bromo" Ngadisari eastern Java. Arrive at the hotel "Grand Bromo" I see no incongruity in Van motman bit, then I asked


"sir if you are healthy.? Is there a problem.? "


And she said 


" I feel very fit, no problems at all, you have to drive very well and we arrived safely at this hotel "


I finally said goodbye to find accommodation for my own, and van motman says to me


 "Hey Agung ... if you do not mind join you tonight for dinner at my hotel, I appreciate it if you can get out and have dinner with my wife",


That same evening I went to dinner with them, as well as discuss plans Bromo tour program for the next morning, I explained that tomorrow morning will change vehicles with 4 wheel drive jeep and continue to ride a horse while walking in the caldera bromo, they are very anxious to with bromo tour program, but do not force me stress if their condition does not fit, given their age old enough, plus the air temperature is very risky for the bromo-old, van motman say 


"I am still strong enough to drive a jeep and horses tomorrow morning, do not worry about the air, the colder the Dutch from Indonesia ", 


I admit I have not been to the Dutch, so I do not know if there was cooler than Indonesia, which I know, the Dutch State was 4 feet below sea level why is colder.? Because the Netherlands is above the equator line of the equator, which makes it colder than Dutch Indonesia, but one thing that should be calculated, although the bromo no colder than Dutch but the height bromo should be taken into account, the Dutch were 4 meters below sea level while the bromo 2800 meters above sea level, this is what must be remembered, the higher than sea level, the thin air can be inhaled, so please do not take lightly the bromo, then after hearing my explanation, van motman still want to follow the tour program bromo sunrise, and I still give the option if feel less fit do not force it up. The journey from grand hotels to Pananjakan bromo view point about 1 hour more, will arrive at the view point around 4:45 pm local time. At 03.30 am local time, I was waiting in the lobby van motman bromo grand hotel,
 I asked again, if you are really fit.? He said


 "I am fit and I'm ready, come on the road".


 I still thought it was weird in itself van motman also his wife, because this is the first time for me to bring tourists up to the bromo old, arrived in Pananjakan View Point,


 I asked again 


"if you are healthy and fit.?" 


Because I see the van motman little strange to the size of the elderly, he said


 "do not worry about me, I'm healthy and fit, and anyway this is also the land of my birth, do not worry about me and my wife,"


 and I saw finger nail van motman have changed color to blue so are his ears, as he walked to the view point which is about 500 meters away, I kept a lot of talk, and then we stopped at a small shop to buy a cup of hot chocolate, not us who are in the view point, many tourists other, perhaps more than about 150 people rose to the top Pananjakan view pointIn a small shop, I asked again about his health and gave me a good choice,


"we can still go back to the hotel now if you want to go back"


and he said


 "no .. I'm here at the highest peak in Java where I was born , let's continue this journey towards the view point ".


 Pananjakan arrived in my view point directly to the information which the place takes good pictures and bromo sunrise at which point taking photos semeru bromo caldera and smoke. In the view point many tourists from Europe, van motman and his wife can instantly mingle with other tourists, and I also gained away from them so that they can more freely enjoy bromo sunrise at about 5 am, while I visited them occasionally, and then van motman saying


 "Agung.. this is the hand of the GOD ... ", ( pointing in the direction of bromo )


bromo caldera and take pictures, then I left again, over a cup of hot chocolate at a shop, not how long, someone ran up to me and told me my room to fall, without much to ask straight run to the view point and look toward 


The Van Motman bromo semeru prostrate, lying helplessly and finally breathed his last at the top of Bromo Caldera Pananjakan view point, as the half Indonesian and half Dutch. 


His words were meaningful in starting a meeting at the airport Jakarta, Bogor, Bandung and ends at the Top Pananjakan View Point Bromo East Java
this is where 


The Last Van Motman going to bring back all the memories Him


And to prove his word alone


"before I die, I want to see my birthplace, where I played as a child, the house where I was raised, where I play pool and my big family cemetery in the area following bogor jasinga Van Motman the family assets still remains to this day ".




No comments:

Post a Comment